The Volunteers are the NCAA college sports teams at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. Men’s teams are called the Volunteers (often shortened to “Vols”) and women’s teams the Lady Volunteers (“Lady Vols”). The nickname was taken from the nickname of the State of Tennessee, The Volunteer State. The State of Tennessee earned the nickname during the War of 1812 because of the prominent role played by volunteer soldiers from Tennessee, especially during the Battle of New Orleans which was fought between December 1814, and January 1815, the final major battle of the War of 1812.
The University of Tennessee–Knoxville was founded in 1794, two years before Tennessee entered the Union as the 16th state and is the flagship institution of the statewide University of Tennessee system. On September 10, 1794 the University of Tennessee was chartered as Blount College. The new, all-male, non-sectarian institution struggled for 13 years with a small student body and faculty, and in 1807, the school was re-chartered as East Tennessee College. When Samuel Carrick, its first president and only faculty member, died in 1809, the school was temporarily closed until 1820. When it reopened, it began experiencing growing pains. In the summer of 1826 the trustees explored “Barbara Hill” (today known as The Hill) as a potential site and relocated there by 1828. In 1840, the college was elevated to East Tennessee University. The school’s status as a religiously non-affiliated institution of higher learning was unusual for the period of time in which it was chartered, and the school is generally recognized as the oldest such establishment of its kind west of the Appalachian Divide.
- (62’ by 31’)
- Classroom Seating – up to 72 people
- PA sound system
- Large format flat screen monitor to replicate screen image
- Multimedia projector and projection screen